TRAC FM engages radio listeners in East-Africa in meaningful public debate on matters concerning their relationship with government, public services and the private sector. TRAC FM reaches out to the most remote and excluded citizens through the use of radio talk-shows, mobile phones and innovative online software. Data from radio-poll results and additional statistics are used to structure, represent and amplify people’s voices during radio debates and used for strategic advocacy campaigns.
TRAC FM is attracting a new Program Manager for our Kampala office. This job will put the successful candidate in a leadership position to manage and execute new and running TRAC FM programs in Uganda. You will be managing projects with current NGO/CSO partners, keeping good relations with our radio partners, training new radio hosts and attracting new potential partners to set up new programs.
A special focus will be on TRAC FM’s ‘Common Matters 2’ program. This 2-year program covers a variety of thematic areas including Land rights, fair land compensation, disability rights and post-LRA transitional justice.
Key to the position is developing and managing timelines, workplans and an elaborate M&E strategy for project deliverables. As we work with multiple partners, clear agreements on activities and reporting requirements need to be made and monitored by our program Manager. This starts with impeccable communication skills and experience in managing project teams. The position of Program Manager also requires a wide field of interest. You will assist our CSO/NGO partners to come up with sharp, relevant, and clear poll-questions and advocacy strategies and maintain professional relationships with the radio stations we work with.
An important aspect in every TRAC FM campaign is the strategic design of an Advocacy Campaign Plan (ACP). ACP’s are the blueprint for our advocacy campaigns and cover mission statements, partnerships, key statistics of the thematic area and a lobby strategy where collected data is effectively used to meaningfully impact the existing narrative within a certain issue. The strategy should be designed to reach the right decision makers and ultimately advance the campaign objective. Experience with advocacy work is important.
What will you do as a Program Manager:
The Program Manager will manage a wide range of programs/campaigns for the TRAC FM office in Kampala. You will be working closely with our country team and will report to the Country Director and Executive Director. The Program Manager will be responsible for developing and maintaining programs in Uganda. This includes:
- Developing strategic advocacy campaign designs with partner CSOs
- Keeping good, clear and strong relationships with our 20 radio partners
- Developing Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) strategies for each campaign
- Delivering and reporting on targets of running projects following MEL strategies
- Making clear agreements on activities, deliverables and reporting formats with partners
- Attracting new partnerships in Uganda
- Working as a team with the Uganda and international team of TRAC FM
- Attending events and making presentations
- Writing proposals and narrative reports
- Working with our graphic designer on info-graphics and PR material
- Traveling across Uganda to give trainings and set up projects
- Keeping a strong online presence for the organization
- Reporting to and strategizing with HQ management
What we expect
- Academic degree (MA), preferably in a relevant field such as Business studies, Media studies, international relations, social sciences
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in program management and M&E
- Hardworking and self-motivated
- Experience/affinity with socio-political challenges in Uganda
The position as Program Manager is versatile and requires an all-round person who can combine strategic planning, team/partner management, innovative solutions, diligent reporting, general oversight and pro-active acquisition of new programs and proposals. We are looking for a candidate who:
- Has proven experience in program management
- Experience with project planning and M&E
- Is talented and fluent in both speaking and writing in English
- Has an entrepreneurial spirit, looking for opportunities to expand TRAC FM’s scope
- Has proven affinity with or experience in journalism, new media and advocacy work
- Is a digital native (good ICT skills- Social media, MS office, google drive etc)
- Has affinity with graphic design (for infographics and reports)
o Motivator and good communicator
o Can build and effectively manage a team
o Able to follow-up and request for instructions from head-office
Finally, the Program Manager is expected to attract new partnerships, raise funds, write proposals and successfully participate in events and conferences. Good networking skills are a must. An established network in the (Ugandan) media and/or NGO sector are a plus.
For the full-time position in Uganda, we offer a competitive Salary.
If you think you are the best candidate to take up significant responsibilities in running an innovative media NGO in Uganda, please send a 1 to 2-page cover letter and your CV to: Jobs@tracfm.org Before the 6th of February 2019